ss_blog_claim=72c4b2db6d01773cfd92b1543994214b Welcome To The Male Perspective: The awkward age

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The awkward age


I have to say the last year or two with my oldest son have been a challange, our communication has been at best probably poor. We just couldn't get on the same page, I couldn't relate to his position and he couldn't understand my point of view. I was trying desperatly to work with him so he could understand the impacts he was having on his younger siblings with his actions. To say I was frustrated with him alot would be an understatement...there were times I really didn't like who he was...let me clearify I love all the kids unconditionally but I know there are going to be lots of trials over the growing years that will make me grey. Having just moved I was really concerned about what impact it would have on him being 11 it's getting to that awkward age when boys are trying so desperatly to rebel against their parents and be cool infront of their friends. I am glad to say that after a few weeks of school he seems to be fitting in so well and his attitude around the house is tremendously improved. It really hit me the other night when he went up to a youth group up the street, knowing it was going to be dark when he was done we planned to go up to get him afterwards. I walked up to meet him and took him a sweater as it was getting cold, he was actually glad to see me waiting for him and we got a few minutes to walk home together and talk about how things were going. It was one of those times that I have been hoping for with him for a long time now, we just talked like two friends with a little fatherly advise thrown it. I hope we will have many more moments like that in the future, it was really great.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I am really glad to see him settling in so good, enjoying school, making and hanging out with new friends and for once spending some time with Trinity, Kohl and Blake. He is becoming very responsible and I am very proud of him lately.

tx sweetie said...

reading a dad's word here. nice to know your thoughts here.. blog hopping from your wife's ...hope you two have a nice evening together..

Anonymous said...

Just trying to find oneself at the age of preteen and early teen can be very difficult, sometimes best to grin and bear it, and know the kid loves you a lot. Hugs and smiles go a long way.

/js